Best and Worst Movies of 2017 (plus Best TV Series of 2017)
You may disagree with my ratings, but how well do you know yer Red Delicious from yer Pink Lady, yer Valencia from yer Navel – and yer Eureka from yer Meyer, for that matter? And how do you compare between them?
- I’ve banged on ad nauseum in previous years about end-of-year best/worst movie lists and why I don’t take them seriously, so I’ll spare yas the rave this year. Just treat my lists as a bit of fun. For me, they function as a quick reference, a reminder of my best and worst movie experiences for a particular year. My crap memory is the main reason I even bother with this annual best-of/worst-of shit. Oh, and please note: some of the films considered are 2016 releases that were released in Australia in 2017.
- As usual, I didn’t see ALL the year’s widely acclaimed flicks, so if something great’s missing from my list hold that sneer. I’ve identified the significant ones I missed at the bottom of the page.
- My viewing is weighted towards arthouse/indie.
- Films in each category are listed in alphabetical order. Ranking them in order of merit makes no sense (apples/oranges; no divulgence of assessment criteria). If you want the reasons behind my assessments you’ll find them in my reviews, which I’ve linked to.
NB: Inclusion in one category does not necessarily preclude inclusion in another.
Best of the Rest
Baby Driver [not reviewed]
Borg vs McEnroe
Call Me by Your Name
Hounds of Love [not reviewed]
Only the Brave
T2: Trainspotting [not reviewed]
Wind River [not reviewed]
Frantz [not reviewed]
Lady Macbeth [not reviewed]
Dog of the Year
Battle of the Sexes
Blade Runner 2049
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
The Disaster Artist
The Lego Batman Movie
Top 20 Highest Grossing Films in Australia 2017 (of these, saw only 4 – marked with asterisk)
- Beauty and the Beast
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Despicable Me 3
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Wonder Woman
- The Fate of the Furious*
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
- The Boss Baby
- Justice League
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle
- Fifty Shades Darker
- Hidden Figures
- Murder on the Orient Express*
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- The Emoji Movie
Overall, I found 2017 to be a bit down on quality films compared with recent years, although as always there were some beauties. TV, on the other hand, has never been better.
Best TV Series
- The Handmaid’s Tale
- Big Little Lies
- The Deuce
Here’s to a stellar 2018 on the big and small screens.
Happy New Year all.
Previous Annual Movie Best/Worst ofs
Best and Worst Movies of 2016 – The Boomtown Rap
Best and Worst Movies of 2015 – The Boomtown Rap
The Boomtown Rap: Movies of 2014 – Best, Worst etc
The Boomtown Rap Movie Awards For 2013
The Boomtown Rap Movie Awards For 2012
The Boomtown Rap Movie Awards For 2011
The Boomtown Rap Awards For 2010
The Boomtown Rap Awards For 2009
The Boomtown Rap Awards For 2008
The Boomtown Rap Awards For 2007