- “Best” and “worst” movie lists are inevitably reductive and subjective, and in general meaningful only to the compiler. Your idea of a great movie might differ from mine. It’s not entirely down to personal taste, though – there are such things as informed opinions and specialist expertise. I’m not suggesting movie buff eggheads set the standard in ratings, though – far from it. In fact, I’m with Stravinsky, who was quoted in a recent movie as claiming that “intellectuals have no taste.” All very complex and tricky, then, this taste and ratings stuff. So forget it and just accept that I know what makes a great movie and you don’t…unless you do.
- I did not see every movie released in 2015. I’ve listed the major ones I missed at the bottom of this post.
- My viewing is heavily weighted towards arthouse/indie (eg: of the 20 highest grossing films in Australia for 2015 I saw only one – The Martian).
- My categories reflect an attempt to factor in the subjective nature of these types of lists. Some are therefore necessarily idiosyncratic.
- Yes, I know there are a lot of flicks that made my “Absolute Best Movies of 2015” list. What can I say? It was a very good year (in film, if nothing else).
- Films in each category are listed in alphabetical order and linked to my reviews except where otherwise indicated.
Absolute Best Movies of 2015
Bridge of Spies
Far From Men
Queen and Country
The Diary of a Teenage Girl
Two Days, One Night
Other Great Movies of 2015
Dark Horse: The Story of Dream Alliance
Love and Mercy
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Mississippi Grind [not reviewed]
Testament of Youth
While We’re Young
Terrif, but if you’re not arthouse-tolerant forget it!
Clouds of Sils Maria
Foxcatcher [not reviewed]
Joy (for Jennifer Lawrence’s performance)
Legend (unmissable dual-lead performance from Tom Hardy)
Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
Worth Seeing If You Like Woody Allen (I do)
Frothy But Fun
She’s Funny That Way [not reviewed]
Lawd O Lawdy!
The Last Witch Hunter
Far from the Madding Crowd [not reviewed]
– Underwhelming. Didn’t help that Carey Mulligan was badly miscast.
– Coulda and shoulda been good, but the dialogue was hard to hear and often indiscernible! Shakespeare doesn’t work all that well as a picture book, even if the pictures move.
The Lobster [not reviewed]
– Look, it was novel and out there, but best film of the year, as some critics claimed? Pah! For a start, it outwore its premise, flagging in the last third, and got less and less weird as it went on. Doesn’t come close to the truly great absurdist stuff, like Kafka or Gogol, where an unhinged whacked out world is sustained brilliantly to the last word. OK, you can’t compare lit with film, but still…
– Some gushing reviews, but more style than substance.
Probably Not Worth Seeing But Better Than ‘Meh’
A Little Chaos
Kumiko the Treasure Hunter
Infinitely Polar Bear
Latin Lover [not reviewed]
The Age of Adaline
The Crow’s Egg
Fantastic 4 [not reviewed]
Samba [not reviewed]
The Mafia Kills Only In Summer
The Wolf Pack [not reviewed]
Brooklyn [not reviewed]
The Longest Ride
Trash [not reviewed – apt title]
Most Annoying Film of the Year
3 Coeurs [not reviewed]
– See below.
Dog Of The Year
– 3 curs might have been more appropriate. When the French get a rom-com wrong, they don’t get more wrong than this. Faaark.
Disclaimer: The following movies were not included because I didn’t see them:
A Perfect Day
A Royal Night Out
He Named Me Malala
Learning to Drive
Love is Strange
People, Places, Things
Tale of Tales
The Divergent Series: Insurgent
Top 20 Highest Grossing Films in Australia 2015) (of these, saw only The Martian)
1. Furious 7
2. Jurassic World
3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
4. Avengers: Age of Ultron
7. Inside Out
8. Pitch Perfect 2
9. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
10. Cinderella (2015)
11. The Martian
12. Fifty Shades of Grey
13. Mad Max: Fury Road
14. American Sniper
15. Home (2015)
16. Kingsman: The Secret Service
17. The Imitation Game
18. The Dressmaker
19. The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
20. Penguins of Madagascar
Happy New Year folx, and here’s to a bumper year of movies in 2016!
Previous Annual Movie Best/Worst ofs
The Boomtown Rap: Movies of 2014 – Best, Worst etc
The Boomtown Rap Movie Awards For 2013
The Boomtown Rap Movie Awards For 2012
The Boomtown Rap Movie Awards For 2011
The Boomtown Rap Awards For 2010
The Boomtown Rap Awards For 2009
The Boomtown Rap Awards For 2008
The Boomtown Rap Awards For 2007