I address this post to the following:
- To weak pretenders like Brendan Nelson who was forced through overwhelming political pressure to take a bipartisan stand on apologising to aboriginal people for the wrongs of the past perpetrated by past parliaments of this land and its non-indigenous majority
- To fuckwits like Wilson Tuckey, who absented himself from Parliament for today’s speech of apology
- To fossils like John Howard who held up cultural and social progress in this country for the long, wasted years of opportunity of his time in office
- To the mean-spirited, simplistic and emotionally retarded minority who are blind to the symbolic importance of a formal apology to the indigenous peoples of this country and who protest indignantly that they weren’t responsible for the actions of previous generations (talk about missing the point!)
- To the writer of the bitter, skewed and ignorant statement entitled Australian Apology To The Aboriginal Population and all the sheep who circulated this piece of shit in email form or whose thinking is trapped within its parameters
- To anyone else not covered above who did not support Rudd’s formal apology
The reaction of the indigenous people to the Apology justifies every word.
If you do not understand why saying sorry was vital both to the aboriginal people and our society and Rudd’s speech a political and social landmark in Australian history, it doesn’t matter. Your views on this issue are irrelevant.
To the future.